Friday, September 24, 2004

Why am I here?

This is not the deep, meaningful, causal, existential "why am I here?". Sorry. Although - that might come later. This is the more mundane expansion on the text to the left.

Jon's powers of persuasion are not THAT great.

I am here - doing this - because I am forever curious about the Internet. As an entity or a phenomena. I have been online and doing things involving the Internet for about the last ten years, and it has always fascinated me. The way I view the Internet today is as a demographic. It is a country - a virtual place.

The Internet has everything that any other country has - a timezone, a population, an ethnic profile, a GDP, a crime rate - you name it. The Internet is a country - and we (if you are reading this, by definition) are all citizens of it.

Social changes, and the social impact of the Internet are particularly interesting. Here - online - we each have our own abstraction of who we are in "real-life". Some people - like me - choose or try to make that abstraction a genuine reflection of who we really are. Others use the Internet to be someone they are not quite like in "real-life" - which can be OK, but also dangerous.

So Blog is something else that is a manifestation of the social aspects of the Internet - who writes them, who reads them, etc. I am curious about this - and I want to know more about. It will shape my thinking - there you go - there's some causality.

It's Friday. It's the weekend tomorrow. Have a good day and weekend!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and it also has weirdos
whom you don't know
but might just *walk* up to you
and start talking to you
Welcome to my World !

27 September 2004 at 14:07  
Blogger Keith Robertson said...

Again, the Internet is a reflection of the real world! Thank you for welcoming me to your Anonymous world! If you live in an even vaguely densely-populated area, then this is just as likely to happen to you. I think in the West, we are by nature reserved and repressed. You don't typically walk up to strangers and talk to them - if you do, you are branded weird. I do sometimes make polite conversation to the stranger next to me in a line or queue - perhaps exchange a comment or observation with the person next to me on public transport. In your world, does that make me a weirdo or just friendly? Are you defined not just by your actions, but by the intent of those actions?

28 September 2004 at 09:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that is an incorrect use of "whom".

L.

1 October 2004 at 11:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Untjeq [url=http://hermeskelly.finniwolf.com][b]hermes wallets[/b][/url] hermes spedition http://hermeskelly.finniwolf.com Qrttuv Zfpxyh hermes bag

19 April 2013 at 07:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home