Friday, May 14, 2010

V+ Good News, Bad News

Another week of getting to know V+. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but we had a briefly frustrating game of "Hunt the BBC iPlayer" the other day. The answer is that from the main menu, it's 2,2,1. It took a while, though. I looked in the manual and found an alternative way of getting there - but it was James that bagged the 221 solution. OK...

Good News: Old Skool VCR - this week, I wanted to do a bit of Old Skool timer recording. We wanted to record the Government press conference on the BBC News channel. As far as I know, there aren't discreet programmes on this channel - it's just 24x7 news. So I wanted to record from 2pm to 4pm in order to catch the bit we wanted somewhere in that window. V+ lets you do that - you can specify date, start and stop times and channel to record - just like a VCR. Very cool - just works. I'm pretty sure Sky+ can't do that.

Bad News: Jumpy Luther - this week, we recorded LUTHER in HD. The recording was choppy. There were times when it froze for a second, and then continued - so it jumped, and crucial pieces of dialogue were lost. It persisted. The recording became unwatchable. :( Very disappointing. We opted for the 221 solution - BBC iPlayer in HD saved the day! :) This was absolutely perfect - just like watching it live - very impressed. I don't know why the recording went jumpy as it did - I don't think we were downloading or streaming anything in particular at the time - but we will have to keep an eye on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home