Friday, October 08, 2004

The Road to Hell: A Fantasy

The Road to Hell is a Chris Rea song about the M25. I wouldn't say I'm THAT frequent a user of the M25, but I know it well enough to have a bit of a fantasy about it.

You see, the time I usually get to travel, it really is London's orbital car park. You are driving along quite happily at 70-80, and you can see this line of unmoving traffic ahead of you. Cars as far as you can see. So in my little fantasy, I am driving along at 70-80, and I can see the cars looming up ahead, but I just keep on driving...

I get closer and closer, but I am not slowing down at all. In fact, I take it up to 90. Then 100. Just as I am approaching the line of cars, I pull back gently on the steering wheel, towards me. The nose of the car rises from the road. As the back wheels leave the ground, the car shoots forward over the cars in front. I bank the car over to the left on it's side, and pull the wheel back. As the car banks away from the line of traffic, I level up and raise the nose a little more to gain some more altitude. Level off, and then floor the accelerator. There's a raw that even rises above the CD player as the afterburner kicks in and I'm thrown back in my seat as the car leaps forward.

The M25 shrinks in my rear-view mirror, and I am FREE!!!

Have a great weekend.

Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home