Monday, October 18, 2004

Windows XP Blues

Over the weekend, I spent ten happy hours rebuilding my PC. This is not as bad as it sounds - there were a lot of software and drivers to put back. I did hit one problem in upgrading (if that's the right word!) to Windows XP Professional.

After installing a new OS, I always go in to Device Manager and look for any problems. When I did this, I found that Windows thought my VIA IDE Bus Mastering driver had a problem - there was a warning indicator against the icon, etc. My first port of call was to Google on the problem. I found a number of things:
1. many, many other people had the same problem
2. there was no clear solution
3. there was a lot of white noise and rubbish

Eventually, reading between the lines, I found my answer. And I'm posting it here, because I'm aware that Blogger is indexed by Google, so this might just help a few other people.

One answer suggested was to download the latest 4-in-1 drivers from your motherboard vendor's website. Did that - went to Asus and downloaded something like version 4.37. Didn't help. I found one post from someone saying "try 4.53", and VIA are now called Hyperion. So I Googled on "Hyperion 4-in-1 4.53 download" and got some good links. Downloaded the software, installed it, and problem solved. :)

If you have this problem, you can download the driver from http://www.download.com/VIA-Hyperion-4-in-1-Driver/3000-2098_4-10313330.html.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home