Thursday, October 28, 2004

Wake up and smell the coffee

Singing Java Java Java Java mega mega white thing mega mega white thing.

Sorry I haven't posted lately - been busy - away from home on business. Not in the UK, etc. So now - after some nagging that SURELY I must be able to find the requisite TWO MINUTES - here is something for you to ponder...

I'm looking at a survey showing the top 10 software packages sold in 6,800 UK retail outlets last week. And I am surprised by what I read. I might expect CD-ROM burning software. Graphics software. Photo-editing software. Route-finding software. An interactive wine guide perhaps.

But no.

The No.1 spot is taken by an Internet security package.
So is No.2 and No.6 and No.10.
Anti-virus packages occupy No.4, No.7 and No.8.
Leaving just three places from Microsoft Office Student Edition and two Driving Test packages.

So I am surprised - but it's good. Perhaps complacency is on the demise.

I recently came across an instance where a less-savvy friend had switched off his AV software, because it seemed to slow his PC down. Of course, the inevitable happened. PC was trashed. I would probably attribute the slowness to the PC being used as a zombie. I rebuilt it and put on a firewall, an anti-virus product, an Internet security package, and two spyware tools. All that lot running - PC running nice and fast - thank you very much!

My friend has learnt from his experience. His PC is now fit for broadband connection to the Internet for more than the 17 minutes it now probably takes for a hacker to find you and attempt to do something nasty.

So the state of the UK home software chart is generally a good thing. People need to be aware of the risks inherent in the Internet today. People need to take precautions. You need a firewall, and you need at least one (ideally two) AV and spyware/adware tools. Upgrading to Windows XP SP2 is a good thing, but I'd still recommend another firewall product between you and the Big Bad Internet.

Be safe - don't be a muppet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home