Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Books

Perhaps not surprising from my previous post, I'm reading Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal" at the moment - and enjoying it. At the moment, it would appear to be about the telecommunications and postal industries, but you never know with Mr.Pratchett!

Prior to "Going Postal", but after "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", which followed "Generation X" (still with me?), I was reading Lian Hearn's excellent "Across the Nightingale Floor". I really enjoyed this book, and found it extremely hard to put down. It is a tale of political intrigue, light fantasy, romance and revenge, set against a backdrop that bears more than a passing likeness to fuedal Japan.

Once I'm up-to-date with my Pratchett, I will probably go off in search of "Grass for his pillow". I highly recommend Lian's books - you can learn more about them here.

Ultimately, I enjoyed Generation X. Once I realised what it actually was. It was a bit like looking through someone's photo album. Like a series of scenes. And if you look really closely at what's going on in the photos, then you can make up a story around the scene - like that. For me, it was very much about zeitgeist - catching a mood of an era.

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" is well worth a read. I think it is one of those books (like Harry Potter) where you can get an "adult" cover version, so you don't feel like you are reading a children's book. It is a book that works at both the adult and younger reader level. I laughed at some things, my son laughed at other things.

...to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home